A company with a history of lab testing, particularly in genetics, seeks a new Lab Director for a startup safety compliance testing laboratory for the burgeoning Michigan cannabis industry. This person will be primarily responsible for managing all laboratory testing staff and overseeing all sampling, testing and data analysis. This person will also be responsible for developing standard operating procedures, content development, and ongoing process improvements. Maintaining the highest level of data integrity will be the instrumental beacon that guides all daily work functions.
The sampling and analysis conducted inside the analytical laboratory will be accredited by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 17025 (Rule 47 (9) (b) R 333.247). The tests identified in Rule 47 (R 333.247) of the Administrative Rules include (but not limited to): Potency, chemical residue, heavy metals, residual solvents, microbial screening including foreign matter, mycotoxin, moisture content, and water activity. The position has direct communication and works in concert with the ownership group.
· Lead, plan, develop, and oversee execution for all scientific processes
· Lead the execution of SOP content development and related activities
· Assists in the recruitment, evaluation, and training of laboratory technician personnel
· Supervising, teaching, and cross-training lab technicians across the entire sampling and analysis spectrum
· Oversees and/or performs installation, testing, calibration, operation and maintenance of highly sophisticated laboratory instrumentation such as sophisticated liquid chromatography and mass spectrometry machinery; analyzes, troubleshoots and coordinates repair of equipment malfunctions and failures
· Participates in acquisition of new equipment
and other resources to support the anticipated needs of the lab; identifies bottlenecks and recommend solutions; recommends purchases of equipment and supplies; maintains contact with vendors and conducts product searches to recommend cost/benefit options to CEO; participates in forecasting and planning for future equipment/resource needs
· Participates in strategic planning, facilitates external collaborations
Candidates must have 5+ years of relevant, hands-on job experience within the medical or scientific fields of microbiology or analytical chemistry. This role requires demonstrated organizational, analytical, and interpersonal communication skills, and the ability to analyze and interpret scientific data, multitask, work independently, and manage projects within tight deadlines with limited direction. “Best in class” attention to detail required. Experience with established professional, medical, editorial processes (eg ISO/IEC 17025 standards) and ethical guidelines is also required.
PhD in chemistry, biochemistry, or analytical chemistry
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $80,000.00 - $120,000.00 per year
- Paid time off
- Day shift
- Doctorate (Required)
- Cannabis Testing: 5 years (Preferred)
- One location
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Temperature screenings
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place